By Daily Mail Reporter
Inspectors from Westminster City Council photographed this cockroach eating a chip in the Leicester Square branch of KFC
Kentucky Fried Chicken (KFC) was ordered to pay out almost £19,000 today after a cockroach was found eating a chip in one of the busiest branches in Britain.
The insect was seen on a food dispensing counter near takeaway boxes and tongs used to serve chicken by an environmental health officer in a restaurant in London’s West End.
City of Westminster Magistrates’ Court heard during an inspection at the Leicester Square branch, the officer also saw a mouse, flies and dried chicken blood on the floor.
The Westminster City Council inspector also said there was no hand wash in dispensers in the food preparation area.
‘There was no soap in the ground-floor food preparation room so, on the day of the inspection at least, it was not possible for food preparation staff to wash their hands properly,’ said Michael Goodwin, prosecuting.
The fast food giant admitted breaching five hygiene rules after the inspection in August 2008.
Mr Goodwin said that, four months prior to the inspection, the branch received a ‘specific warning’ from the council voicing concerns about hygiene practices.